In-class: Tuesdays (T); Online: Thursdays (TH)
Week 1 In Class (T) COMPLETED
Work Essentials login information
Forces shaping the workplace
Trends and challenges
Career clusters and pathways
Building block model: putting all the pieces for
US Dept of Labor
Week 1 Online (TH) COMPLETED
Jobs and Machines
Assignment: Listen to the three following TedTalks. Take notes! Once you have viewed all three, write a two-paragraph (8 sentences per paragraph) response to the Ted Talks responding to this question: Based on what you have learned in these three TedTalks, how do you think will machines of the future affect jobs of the future? You must use two quotes from each TedTalk as evidence to support your opinion. Submit through Googledocs. Be sure to share with me!
Week 2: Labor Market Trends In Class (T) COMPLETED
Fill in What's Hot/What's Not research sheet
Week 2 Online (TH) COMPLETED
Watch the following short videos, then respond to the following on Googledocs. Remember to share!
Write two 8-sentence paragraphs that discusses what you learned in these videos. You might include:
1. What three things surprised you the most?
2. What did you already know?
3. How might what you learned through these videos alter your plans for your career? Explain fully!
Week 3 In class (T) COMPLETED
Evolving 21st Century Workplace and the American Workforce
After reading, respond to the following in two 8-sentence handwritten paragraphs. You must cite from the article points that support your response or made you think about your response.
- Explain how the three major trends influencing the future of work that are identified in the article will influence your place in the workforce.
- How might the interaction between these trends affect your future job and job search?
- What do you see as the biggest trend that is presented in this article that will have the most impact on your working future. Explain why.
Use the following resources to examine the 16 nationally recognized career clusters and the 34 related career pathways.
Choose three career clusters that are of interest to you. For each career cluster, choose two pathways that are of interest to you.
Go to the CT Department of Labor labor market information site and Career poster that corresponds with your areas of interest: Labor Market
- Create a chart with the career clusters you have chosen and their corresponding pathways.
- On a separate piece of paper, for EACH PATHWAY (meaning: 6 in all):
- In complete sentences, write a reflection of your short and long term goals for advancing up the career ladder in EACH of your selected areas.
- Include things such as: necessary education, certificates, or continuing education; necessity to move; any possible limitations (low salary, not enough money for additional schooling, etc.), and any thoughts about overcoming limitations.
- HAND IN AT END OF CLASS.
Week 3 Online (TH) COMPLETED
Work Essentials Unit 1: Finding A Job
Finding Jobs Online
Communicating with Employers
Week 4 In Class (T) Identifying Skills COMPLETED
Skills Identification charts
Things I Am Good At
Week 4 Online (TH) COMPLETED
Watch this interview:
Write a 3-paragraph reflection about at least three points Anthony Carnevale makes.
Share your reflection with me on Googledocs.
NO WEEK 5 In-Class
Week 5 Online(TH): Writing a Resume COMPLETED
Watch the following and create your resume. Share with me: email as an attachment or through Google Docs.
Use a resume template from the following or of your choice:
Finish your resume and share with me through Googledocs or as an attachment.
Week 6 In Class (T):
MAKE UP MISSING WORK
Work Essentials Unit 2: Making A Good Impression
Enthusiasm and Attitude
How to Interview
A Positive Attitude
Watch/read these short materials and take notes about the five points you thought were most important. Be prepared to discuss these in class.
Week 7 Online (TH)
Be prepared to be interviewed during our next class.
Make sure you look at and prepare to answer these questions
most interviewers ask.
Make sure you ask questions
of the interviewer
Each of you will be interviewed in class for a grade.
Each of you will be expected to give helpful feedback.
You will be graded on the Interview Rubric.
Week 8 In Class (T)
Job interviews and feedback
class discussion on effective interview techniques
Week 8 Online (TH)
Work Essentials Unit 4: Communication
Introduction to Communication
Verbal and Nonverbal Communication
Responding to Criticism
Week 9: In Class (T) Interviews/continued
Week 9 Online (TH)
Work Essentials Unit 3: Working With Others
Negotiates to Solve Conflicts
Creates Positive Customer Experience
Week 10: Problem Solving In Class (T)
Problem Solving and Communications
- How to Make Toast PI, PII, and PIII
Week 10: online (TH)
Watch: Making Toast and write a response that compares what you learned in the video with what you discovered in the Making Toast exercise in class. Share with me on Googledocs.
Work Essentials Unit 5: Solving Problems At Work
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Finding the Root Cause of the Problem
Week 11 In Class: Solving Problems at Work (T)
Problem Solving Model
Problem Solving on a Team
Lost at Sea
Week 11 Online:
Soft Skill #1: Communication and Soft Skill #6: Professionalism
Work Essentials Unit 6: Professionalism
Introduction to Professionalism
Your Physical Appearance
A Positive Work Ethic
Week 12: Ethics (T)
Praise, Criticism, or Feedback
Write a 3- paragraph reflection about how you consider your own idea of work and a job. Be sure to mention points in these videos. Submit on Googledocs. Be prepared to discuss your thoughts in class
Week 13: Job Values In Class (T)
Jobs Value Inventory
Work Values Clarification
Prioritizing Job Values
Job Values Inventory Summary
Week 13 Online (TH)
Watch the following short videos:
ASSIGNMENT: Write a standard cover letter that you can use to apply for jobs.
Week 14: Applying for jobs online In Class (T)
- Cover Letters
- thank yous
- Assignment: Apply for four jobs you find online. Tailor your cover letters to fit those jobs.
Week 14 Online: